Spouse Visa

Spouse Visa

What is a Spouse Visa?

A spouse visa, (also known as a UK marriage visa), allows individuals who are married to a person settled in the UK to come to the UK to live, work and/or study.

During the spouse visa application process, those who are married or in a civil partnership must provide their marriage or civil partnership certificate and those who are unmarried partners will instead be required to evidence that they have been living together in a relationship as partners for the last two years.

The main requirements for a spouse visa

Applicants must be able to demonstrate that;

  • they and their partner are 18 or older;
  • they are in a genuine and subsisting relationship;
  • they meet the financial requirement and
  • they meet the required level of English language – currently A1 of the CEFR

The Financial Requirement

The financial requirement can be met in a number of different ways. Applicants must demonstrate that their partner has an annual income of at least £18,600, or that the applicant and their partner have savings of at least £62,500.

The financial requirement increases if any dependant children are to be included with the application.

Spouse visa lengths and conditions

Applicants submitting an application from outside of the UK will be granted permission  to enter the UK for 33 months. Those switching into this category from within the UK will be granted leave of 30 months.

Spouse visa holders can work and change jobs without notifying the Home Office.

Spouse Visa extension

Before the end of the initial visa, a spouse visa holder can apply to extend their stay in the UK for a further 30 months.

For this application to be successful, the applicant will need to demonstrate that:

  • they and their partner remain in a genuine and subsisting relationship; and
  • they continue to meet the financial requirement.

Indefinite Leave to Remain

Once the individual has held their spouse visa for at least five years, they will be able to submit an application for  Indefinite Leave to Remain, also known as settlement.


We have considerable experience in preparing successful spouse visa applications. If you would like to discuss matters further please contact Charles Green, Consultant Partner, at cgreen@rooksrider.co.uk or by telephone to 07955112218

Consultant Partner - Immigration