Student Visa

Student Visa

The Student visa enables those aged 16 and over to study in the UK at a school, college or university that holds a sponsor licence.

Main requirements

In order to qualify for a Student route visa the applicant must be able to demonstrate that:

  • they have been offered a place on a course;
  • the course is with a licenced sponsor and they have been assigned a confirmation of acceptance for studies document (‘CAS’);
  • they can speak, read, write and understand English to a required standard;
  • they meet the finance requirements issued by the Home Office; and
  • they do not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal.

Length and conditions of stay in the UK

Applicants will be granted leave in line with the duration of their course with additional time at the start and end of the course to settle in and arrange their affairs.

Applicants may be able to extend their leave or apply for new leave. Those who have previously studied in the UK will only be granted additional leave in limited circumstances.

Work may be permitted depending on the type of sponsor and level of course. Self employment and permanent employment is not permitted.

Applicants cannot continue to study in the UK indefinitely and a five year cap is placed on study above degree level with only certain exceptions.

The Student visa does not lead to settlement in the UK. Once an applicant has completed their studies, in order to remain in the UK they will be required to switch to another visa category. If they do not meet the requirements of other categories, they will be required to leave the UK at the end of their studies.

Contact us

We have considerable experience in preparing Student applications. If you would like to discuss matters further, please contact Charles Green, Consultant Partner, at

Consultant Partner - Immigration